If you follow Tasty Plan on Instagram (you should if you don’t!), you know I deliberately, (and obsessively) consume avocados on a daily basis. For breakfast, lunch, and dinner, avocados make an appearance on top of toast, in smoothies, on greens, or by themselves drizzled in olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt. To me, avocados are pure, unadulterated comfort. Each bite is a reminder of home: hot-humid air, rustling palm tree leaves, and the sound of the ocean hitting the shore.
Because I hold these babies so close to my heart, I am always looking for creative ways to sustain my addiction. These lead to simple, yet exciting recipes like this one.
While I dream about sweet peas hummus, tahini, and sprouts in the spring to make the best avocado toast, winter begs for something a bit heartier, more robust and full bodied; ingredients that sticks to the ribs and keeps the belly satisfied.
This warm, sweet potato avocado toast celebrates the simple combination of classic winter flavors, spiked with curry powder, turmeric, and chili. It stand on its own as a meal, that with a little planning could be assembled in minutes. Sweet potatoes are cooked through then mashed with just enough spices to transform the sweet potato from sweet to savory. These are then topped with quickly pan-fried, hearty Brussels sprouts and creamy avocado slices. Not being shy with your spices will lead to an out of the ordinary, delicious avocado toast that can stand on its own as a fully-loaded, delicious meal.
Spicy Sweet Potato Toast with Brussels Sprouts & Avocado
Cook time 20 minutes
- 1 small sweet potato
- ½ tsp. curry powder
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 brussels sprouts
- ½ avocado
- ½ tsp. black sesame seeds
- pinch of salt
- 2 slices of Free Bread, or your toast of choice
- Wash and pat sweet potatoes dry, then cut into 1-inch chunks.
- Place in a small pot with enough water to fully cover by 1-inch.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 15 minutes, or until fork tender. Drain.
- Place cooked potatoes in a bowl with curry, chili powder, and olive oil.
- Using a fork, mash until well incorporated and smooth. At this point you can store in the refrigerator until ready to eat.
- To prepare brussels sprouts, remove bottom stem, then slice into thin slices.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a small sauté pan. Add sprouts and cook over high heat until golden and crisp, around 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and add salt.
- Toast two slices of bread until golden brown.
- To assemble, spread warm mashed sweet potatoes onto toast. Add Brussels sprouts, avocado, sesame seeds and salt.