Summer puts a spell on New Yorkers. Everybody comes out of their shell, transforming into the most social, adventurous, joyful version of themselves. Parties get planned, barbecues become the only way to spend Saturday afternoons (unless of course you decide to take a hike upstate, sail through the caribbean, eat at one of the world’s best restaurants siting next to Rene Redzepi, or drive out to the middle of the desert to party with 75,000 people, sigh!).
Summer is good. Summer is what we live for.
Eventually people start coming back into themselves after Labor Day. With a little bit of nostalgia for the summer, and a desire to turn back inwards, the streets slowly start to become quieter. And for those early Fall nights, when we haven’t yet fully transitioned, there salads like this that remind us of the sweltering heat and the boozy afternoons that make up for winter.
Dressed in a tangy, spicy, and earthy combination of lemon, cumin, and thai chili, thin ribbons of cabbage get transformed into a decadent, crunchy salad. Studded with yellow wax beans, sweet plums, and creamy avocados, this salad is equal parts summer and Fall. The complex combination of crunchy, creamy, and sweet allow for a complex explosion of decadent flavors.
Fall Cabbage Salad with Plum and Avocado
Cook Time: 15 minutes
To make the Spicy Cumin Dressing
- 1 Thai chili
- 1 tsp. cumin powder
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- kosher salt to taste
- Wash and thinly slice once Thai chili.
- Place chili in a bowl with cumin powder, lemon juice, olive oil and salt.
- Wish until well incorporated.
To make assemble the salad
- 3 baby sweet cabbages, or ½ cabbage
- Spicy Cumin Dressing
- ¼ lb. yellow wax beans
- ½ avocado
- 1 plum
- 1/8 cup
- handful fresh cilantro
- kosher salt
- Wash cabbage, remove outer leaves, and cut off stem.
- Using a sharp knife, slice cabbage into very thin ribbons.
- Place cabbage in a bowl with dressing. Add a heavy pinch of salt and toss until cabbage is fully coated in the dressing.
- As the cabbage marinades, wash wax beans, then remove stems.
- Place a large pot of with 4 inches of water over high heat.
- Bring to a boil. Add a pinch of salt, then add wax beans. Cook for three to five minutes. Then quickly remove beans and rinse under very cold water.
- Add cooked and cooled wax beans to the cabbage.
- Using clean hands, toss beans into cabbage.
- Thinly slice plum and avocado, then place over cabbage.
- Sprinkle sunflower seeds and cilantro over salad, add a pinch of finishing sea salt, and serve.
- This salad refrigerates well for a couple of hours in a air tight container.