Heat. Sweat. Water evaporating into thick cumulous clouds, pregnant with rain and thunder. Ripe tomatoes and succulent peaches. The smell of pollenating flowers. A wisp of basil and mint. Summer. This is what I live for.
An impromptu dinner and a garden full of herbs inspired this recipe. Plump heirloom tomatoes are sliced thick and dressed in olive oil and salt. Peaches, basil, and mint add a fragrant sweetness you can smell a mile away. This is kind of cooking was meant for summer: pick, cut, drizzle, sprinkle, devour. A true celebration of the summer's best.
Heirloom Tomato & Peach Salad
- 2 medium-large heirloom tomatos of different colors
- 1 large, ripe peach
- 1 heavy drizzle olive oil
- 1 sprinkle of sea salt
- 5-6 basil leaves
- 5-6 mint leaves
- Wash your tomatoes and pat dry. Usin a sharp serated knife, cut each tomato into thick slices. Arrange on a large, flat plate.
- Cut peaches into half-moons and place in clusters over the tomato slices.
- Thinly slice the basil and the mint. Sprinkle over the tomato and the peaches.
- Heavily drizzle olive oil and sprinkle sea salt over the fruit and serve immedialty.
Cook time: 5 minutes