Starting tomorrow, we are kicking off The Coseena Challenge: 1 week, 5 dinners, all from Week 01 of the newly released guidebook for winning at dinner. Whether you cook one, three, or all five recipes, this Challenge is meant to motivate you to start cooking dinner more. So close that Seamless tab, go shopping, and start cooking.
Week 01 Recipes includes:
Carrot & Tomato Soup
Zucchini & Sweet Corn Salad
Heirloom Tomato Pasta
Perfect Roasted Chicken
Here I am sharing one of my favorite recipes from the book here. It has been tested by the pickiest of eaters and approved. This tomato soup is comforting and refreshingly unique. Berbere, a traditional Ethiopian spice, makes it both earthy and spicy. I like to garnish it with creamy tahini and crunchy pistachios.
Let’s share what we make, tag your dinners with #coseena
Carrot & Tomato Soup
1 large pot
- 1/2 bunch carrots
- 2–3 small leeks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher or sea salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon berbere
- 2 1/2 cups water or broth
- 2 cups crushed San Marzano tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 handful crushed roasted pistachios, for garnish
- 4–6 chives, roughly chopped for garnish
- 1 tablespoon tahini, for garnish
Great with a crusty baguette!
- Wash, peel, and cut the carrots into 1-inch pieces.
- Wash the leeks and remove any bruised outer leaves. Cut off the stems where the green and white parts meet. Discard the green leaves and stems and slice the white parts into 1-inch pieces.
- Place a large pot over medium-high heat for 3 minutes. Add the leeks, carrots, oil, and a pinch of the salt into to the pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes over low heat, until the leeks soften and start to become translucent.
- Once the leeks have softened, add the berbere. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the water, tomatoes, and garlic and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and transfer into a high-speed blender. Pulse for 2 minutes, until the mixture is silky smooth.
- Transfer to serving bowls and drizzle with the chives, pistachios, and tahini. Serve hot.